Monday, January 20, 2014

Monday Magic - Minotaurs!

I wasn't able to attend FNM last week, so I haven't been able to test any new changes to my standard deck.  Instead, I want to run through the skeleton of a new deck I've been toying with.

With the Born of the Gods spoilers that have been trickling in, it's starting to look like minotaur tribal might be a serious competitor.  With the two minotaur spoilers that we've seen (Felhide Spiritbinder and Ragemonger), the minotaur archetype is already getting some serious support.

With that in mind, I've thrown together a minotaur tribal deck with standard legal cards that I already own.  After the decklist, which I think is pretty straightforward, I'll comment on big changes that I think would make the deck more competitive.

Creatures:
4 Deathbellow Raider
3 Fanatic of Mogis
4 Felhide Minotaur
4 Kragma Warcaller
4 Minotaur Skullcleaver
3 Rageblood Shaman

Instants:
4 Chandra's Outrage
2 Doom Blade
4 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Jet

Sorceries:
2 Act of Treason

Land:
2 Blood Crypt
14 Mountain
2 Rakdos Guildgate
6 Swamp

Perhaps the most obvious improvement is replacing those Guildgates with additional Blood Crypts, but as of now I only have the two.  Act of Treason is also probably pretty weak, but I'm not sure what I have to replace it.  Similarly, Chandra's Outrage may be a little costly; by the time I have 4 mana, I'm probably going to want to devote it to developing my board state, not removing a random creature.  Again, though, I'm not sure what to stick in there instead.

Maybe the biggest addition to this deck would be Door of Destinies.  Buffing all your minotaurs, which likely have trample and haste due to the Warcaller and the Shaman, seems to enable huge burst damage.  If I owned any copies, I'd definitely make some room for them.

The most serious threat against this setup is clearly wrath effects, as a swift win requires having a couple creatures already on the board the turn you drop a Warcaller.  I'm not totally sure how to avoid that problem other than to try to brute force your way through it.  It certainly deserves some consideration, though.

To make this kind of deck competitive, there are some significant obstacles to overcome and a lot of tweaking to do.  At this point, this decklist is simply meant as a basic shell for revisions once Born of the Gods is officially released and we know what new goodies this kind of deck may get.  As such, I'll leave it there for now; something to think about rather than something to bust out at FNM anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment