Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday Magic - WG Token Generators

I spent a lot of time watching the Pro Tour Dragon's Maze broadcast, and I was generally inspired by a lot of the decks that I saw.  In particular are the two decks that survived to the final round: a white-blue-black control deck (that one lost the final pretty convincingly) and a white-green Selesnya deck.  Naturally, since the white-green deck won, I thought I'd throw one of those together.

Sadly, I don't have the collection or the cash required to use all the powerful stuff in that Pro Tour winner's deck (Voice of Resurgence and Advent of the Wurm were big players in his deck), but I have the benefit of not being restricted to the Return to Ravnica block (not exactly a great trade-off, but whatever; I'll make it work).

I don't have too many options for creating or maintaining tokens, and I'm not totally sure how powerful the Pro Tour decks are compared to our casual playgroup (obviously they're much, much better, but I don't know how badly a slow mana curve compared to the champion's really quick curve would hurt me in casual matches), so I'm going to throw one out there and hope to iron it out a bit with a few test games.

When looking through my collection, I noticed two pretty serious problems for the type of deck I wanted to build: I don't have any copies of Selesnya Charm, the utility of which is incredibly important, and I only have one copy of Call of the Conclave, which would be an awesome early creature spell for this deck.  I'd love to have four copies of both in this deck, so maybe I can pick some up at some point.

To balance my lack of cheap utility spells like those two, I'm including some higher-end stuff that synergizes with token generation - Emmara Tandris and my copy of the classic Verdant Force.  I don't know that I'll ever get to play either of those spells, but they could be pretty strong finishers if I can get them out.

Still, the goal of this deck is to generate tons of tokens (Parallel Lives can make some of the other spells quite silly, although I only have one copy of that) and then overwhelm my opponent with dudes for miles.  Druidic Satchel can both generate tokens and give me some mana ramp to get the big hitters out, Intangible Virtue and Phantom General make my tokens stronger, and various Populate cards can copy my strongest tokens while having other beneficial effects (like exiling something nasty with Trostani's Judgment).

Anyway, here's the current state of the thing:

Creatures:
Emmara Tandris
2 Experiment One
3 Geist-Honored Monk
Phantom General
1 Precinct Captain
2 Trostani's Summoner
Verdant Force
2 Vitu-Ghazi Guildmage
Voice of Resurgence
1 Wayfaring Temple

Instants:
Advent of the Wurm
Druid's Deliverance
Eyes in the Skies
Rootborn Defenses
Trostani's Judgment

Sorceries:
Call of the Conclave
1 Coursers' Accord
1 Increasing Devotion

Artifacts:
Druidic Satchel

Enchantments:
Intangible Virtue
Parallel Lives

Planeswalkers:
2 Garruk, Primal Hunter

Lands:
8 Forest
1 Grove of the Guardian
10 Plains
4 Selesnya Guildgate
1 Temple Garden

Clearly the archetype has serious promise, but I don't know if I have the collection to support it right now.  Hopefully a few games will indicate whether this deck is really worth pursuing given my limited resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment