Monday, June 17, 2013

Monday Magic - EDH with the Dracogenius - Niv-Mizzet as Commander

Following my last EDH blog, I was excited to start concocting another deck.  I wanted to avoid any color overlap with my existing deck (Varolz, the Scar-Striped, black and green), as it already had most of my good EDH-worthy cards in those colors and I don't want to have to switch cards between decks if I can help it.  Those restrictions ultimately brought my choice down to two creatures: Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius and Isperia, Supreme Judge.  I ultimately chose the Dragon over the Sphinx because he gives a more reliable (and safer) way of asserting card dominance.

The deckbuilding proceeded essentially as before: I included all the big nasty rares that likely would never see regular constructed play, and I tried to maximize the use of spells that affect "opponents" or "opponents' creatures" to get the best possible results.  I tried to stick to the card drawing theme by including a bunch of spells to give me tons of options (Mind Unbound and Enter the Infinite being the biggest ones), some spells to restrict my foes (Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur), and a few things to help me abuse those powers (Beacon of Tomorrows for extra turns, Elixir of Immortality to keep from milling myself to death).  Throw in the most annoying counterspell in Magic (Time Stop), and you have a pretty reasonable EDH deck.

Here's the setup:

Commander:
Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius

Creatures:
Aetherling
Diluvian Primordial
Djinn of Wishes
Flameborn Viron
Flayer of the Hatebound
Harbor Serpent
Hellrider
Hypersonic Dragon
Invader Parasite
Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur
Keiga, the Tide Star
Kuldotha Ringleader
Mindclaw Shaman
Mindshrieker
Molten Primordial
Myojin of the Seeing Winds
Nivix Guildmage
Rage Nimbus
Ripscale Predator
Scourge of Geier Reach
Slumbering Dragon
Sphinx of Uthuun
Stormtide Leviathan
Tyrant of Discord
Valakut Fireboar
Voidwielder

Instants:
Counterlash
Cyclonic Rift
Essence Backlash
Magmaquake
Mindstatic
Redirect
Reverberate
Rock Slide
Street Spasm
Time Stop

Sorceries:
Alpha Brawl
Beacon of Tomorrows
Cerebral Eruption
Cone of Flame
Devastation Tide
Enter the Infinite
Fire Tempest
Fireball
Into the Maw of Hell
Lava Burst
Meteor Shower
Rolling Temblor

Artifacts:
Dreamstone Hedron
Elixir of Immortality
Feldon's Cane
Izzet Cluestone
Izzet Keyrune
Izzet Signet

Enchantments:
Curse of Echoes
Mind Control
Mind Unbound
Numbing Dose
Volition Reins
Warstorm Surge

Planeswalkers:
Ral Zarek

Lands:
18 Island
Izzet Guildgate
19 Mountain

I was able to play one game with this deck a couple weeks ago, and although I think it ended up a bit weaker than my Varolz deck, I like it a lot more.  Instead of just being built out of a solid mechanic (Scavenge), this deck makes sillier plays throughout the game, making it more fun to use.  That's based on only one test run, though, so I'll need to play with it a few more times before I really settle on an opinion of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment