Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Monday Magic - Possibility Storm Revised

I've had several chances to play with my Possibility Storm deck, and I've identified a couple major flaws.  The biggest is that my deck is terribly weak against strong ramping abilities leading to massive creatures or spells.  If you can sneak a Darksteel Colossus or a similarly big creature into play before I can get the Possibility Storm/Curse of Exhaustion combo running (usually turn 4 or 5), I'm pretty much screwed.

I went up against a nasty Elf deck that managed just that, and I think biggest flaw is that the low end of my mana curve was designed to deter creature aggression or set up profitable trades; if my opponent's not attacking with his or her creatures, mine can't do anything.  As such, I have replaced some of the low-costing creatures with more burn spells so I can stop a player from sitting back on tricky creatures in the early game.

Another problem was generally running out of gas.  I had one game where I managed to get my combo off, but my opponent's board state was slightly better than mine, and he was slowly able to whittle me down.  The above changes will help (more burn will help me clear the board or end the game), but I've also dropped some of the ramping spells I had before.  The ramp never really seemed necessary, and it just gave me crappy spells to grab with the Storm, so they've gotta go.

One more problem is the fact that my enchantments become dead weight once my combo is on the board.  I'd love to play a couple copies of something like Faithless Looting so I can cycle my enchantments out of my hand, but I also want to keep the total number of spell types low to keep from getting caught with only one card of a particular type left in my deck (which means Storm will prevent me from ever playing it).  It may be worth inserting a few Sorcery burn spells and Faithless Looting, but for now, I want to stick with Instant-speed burn and see how that matches up.

I also had the fortune of getting a few extra Curses of Exhaustion from a friend, making the total shutdown combo a bit easier to pull off.  All in all, I think the Possibility Storm deck is becoming a powerful option.

Anyway, here's the current form of the deck:

Creatures:
1 Ashmouth Hound
2 Blistercoil Weird
2 Burning-Tree Emissary
1 Chancellor of the Forge
2 Goblin Arsonist
2 Melek, Izzet Paragon
1 Mercurial Chemister
1 Nivmagus Elemental
1 Somberwald Vigilante
1 Utvara Hellkite

Instants:
2 Annihilating Fire
4 Incinerate
2 Lightning Bolt
2 Punish the Enemy
2 Thunderous Wrath

Artifacts:
2 Boros Cluestone
2 Boros Signet

Enchantments:
Curse of Exhaustion
3 Possibility Storm

Lands:
2 Boros Guildgate
4 Island
13 Mountain
2 Plains
2 Sulfur Falls

I can't wait to see this newest version in action!

No comments:

Post a Comment