Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday Magic - Minor Werewolf Revisions

Despite not playing a single game with last week's werewolf deck, I've already reconsidered some of my decisions.  The big change that I want to make is simple: instead of splitting my attention between wolves and a little bit of removal, I'm going to scrap pure removal and focus instead on overwhelming my opponent with big scary monsters.

The biggest change is an addition: Gruul Planeswalker Domri Rade.  I like Domri in this deck for a couple reasons.  First, I'm not planning on building a pure Gruul deck at any point (I feel like Bloodrush is a nice support mechanic, but not worthy of being the focus of a deck); second, Domri gives me more options for getting big creatures (his +1 ability) while also providing the option of removal (his -2).  To make it that much sweeeter, if I happen to get to a point where I could pop his ultimate, I'll basically win the game right there, so he could be a solid win condition, too.  He feels like a good fit for a werewolf deck.

And that's the basic idea: if I'm going to include some removal, I want it to be one of several options (so I can avoid wasting a card killing a creature when it doesn't matter) or be a beatstick in itself (which is why I'm also including a copy of Clan Defiance).  Other than that, the goal is hit you with tons of dudes every turn, overwhelming your defenses and Moonmisting whenever necessary.

So, here's what I'm running now:


Creatures:

Wolfbitten Captive
Young Wolf
Mayor of Avabruck
Scorned Villager
Daybreak Ranger
Hanweir Watchkeep
Kruin Outlaw
Lambholt Elder
Villagers of Estwald
Wolfir Avenger
Afflicted Deserter
Briarpack Alpha
Huntmaster of the Fells
Instigator Gang
Mondronen Shaman
Ulvenwald Mystics
Grizzled Outcasts
Wolfir Silverheart

Instants:

Moonmist

Sorceries:

Clan Defiance

Enchantments:

Full Moon's Rise
Decendants' Path

Planeswalker:
Domri Rade
Garruk Relentless

Lands:

17 Forest
6 Mountain
Rootbound Crag


Sadly, although I'm excited to test this deck in several matches, I probably won't get a chance for a few weeks, seeing as the Dragon's Maze release is coming up.  At least there's going to be a ton of great Magic stuff happening in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment