Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Monday Magic - Werewolves!

I'm a little behind schedule on this one (and "Tuesday Magic" doesn't have quite the same ring to it), but I've decided to head back in time a bit for my next constructed deck.  But first, a quick update:

I've had a bit of a chance to play with my shiny new Extort deck, and it seems to work pretty well.  My biggest concern is dealing with a bunch of little creatures - if my opponent can swarm me with tokens, for example, I'm in a lot of trouble.  As such, it may be worth including a Merciless Eviction or two, but I want to get some more playtesting in before making that kind of call.

This week's deck of choice, however, is coming primarily from the Innistrad block: red-green werewolves.

Creatures:

Wolfbitten Captive
2 Young Wolf
1 Mayor of Avabruck
3 Scorned Villager
1 Daybreak Ranger
1 Hanweir Watchkeep
1 Kruin Outlaw
2 Lambholt Elder
1 Villagers of Estwald
1 Wolfir Avenger
2 Afflicted Deserter
2 Briarpack Alpha
1 Huntmaster of the Fells
1 Instigator Gang
1 Mondronen Shaman
1 Ulvenwald Mystics
1 Grizzled Outcasts
1 Wolfir Silverheart

Instants:

2 Incinerate
4 Moonmist
2 Pit Fight

Enchantments:

2 Full Moon's Rise
1 Decendants' Path

Planeswalker:
1 Garruk Relentless

Lands:

17 Forest
6 Mountain
1 Rootbound Crag

The overall strategy here is pretty simple: play tons of wolves and werewolves, then transform them with Moonmist for super combat tricks.  It's obviously really creature heavy, so the focus is definitely on hitting hard and often, but I have a few little choices for removal (Moonmist and Full Moon's Rise can help when used defensively).  Garruk can help by making more creatures or by searching for some big hitters, and Descendants' Path can keep growing the board presence.

My biggest concerns are my limited removal options (big nasty opponents might ruin my day if I can't draw into some Moonmists), counterspells (if I can't play my creatures, I'm dead), and decks with their own Fog effects (I'm sort of banking on dealing huge damage in small bursts).

I'd really like to add some Immerwolves, because I'm also worried about getting stuck on the human side of my werewolves, but I don't have any at present.  I'm looking into some trades, though, so I may be able to throw some of those in soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment